Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

format harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

123gad

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2001
US
I have a Windows 95 computer, it only starts at Safe Mode, I try to reformat the harddrive, but I can not start in MS Dos, and the Startup Disk is not working. Every Time I type C:\format c: it say's bad command.
Any ideas how I can reformat the harddrive.

Thanks

It won't allow you to format over itself. You've got to get your floppy working. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The format command and the other DOS copmmands are in C:\windows\command. If you run it from there you will format you drive privided that you start up on the command line.
You could also rename your autoexec.bat file. This will allow you to use enviroment setting set by command.com instead of what the autoexec has set up.

Your diskette drive must be working and you must have a W95 startup disk with the required files on it , they must be of the same DOS version the computer was setup with.
You can make a startup disk on another computer running same ver W95, just make sure you type format A: /s to get the system files setup on it, then make sure it has the required files by doing a DIR A:/ to read what you have there. If CDrom is needed assure you have the drivers and commands for it on the floppy also. Read up on latest DOS manual for some help.

Concerning the floppydrive, check your BIOS startup configuration, put floppy on first and HD on second
then use floppy to start up, and follow info from rayb2
cu 31055

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back