Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbie

Technical User
Jul 13, 2003
US
WINDOWS WILL NOT LET ME FORMAT A HARD DRIVE

Howdy:

Not if it is c: drive it won't. You will need to boot to DOS using a startup floppy in order to format !!

Murray

I have the same problem with my new slave drive. The startup bios recognises the drive (and as the slave too) but windows (98) won't recognise it!
How do I change this?
The best I can do is windows thinking it is a quarter of the size! but why wont it see it as it's actuall size!?

I need to format it basically and have no idea of how to do it!

How old is your system/motherboard?

If it is an older model it may not support larger drives.

In win98 you need to use fdisk to partition the drive before you can format it (run fdisk from a dos prompt - enable large disk support - from within windows - change to disk 2 (option 5), and create one or maore partitions as required. Set primary one active. Exit, reboot machine and format new drive(s) when restarted.

A friend had said about Fdisk and ran through the basics of it, where it would ask if I wanted to do the maximum partition and everything seemed fine untill the final Gb rating came in, this time half the size!!!
The motherboard thing was mentioned but I only got it last year, a friend has offered to see what he can do on a new(ish) computer to see if my comp can/can't determine the size of the drive.
Is there no other way!?

The dive is 120Gb. It's fixed now, thanks to all for the help, I was told that all went as I had tried but that a new computer was used to format it and that mine was an older one unable to do it. Hopefully all will stay well! my computer recognises the 120 size now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back