Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format hard drive easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipster

Technical User
Aug 2, 2001
US
Hello again, I have the win 98se disk and CD for doing this easy task, but when I get to the A:/> prompt I type in FORMAT c:\ and the response is "bad command or file name" I have tried this from the C:/> also but to no success. I just want to start with a "clean slate" (hard drive) Help, this site hjas helped me out alot.
Thanks Jeff

It sounds like you don't have the format command on the floppy. If the disk you are using is a startup disk boot from it. I think the format program is in a cab file that gets uploaded to a ram disk during the boot and is not available to run directly from the floppy.

In any case I don't think Windows will let you format a hard disk when it is running on it. To format the "system" disk (probably C: in your case) you have to boot from another disk.

Alternatively make a simple bootable disk:
Format a floppy with the make an MSDOS startup disk option checked (or is it copy system files option) then copy the file format.com to the floppy.

I don't remember where format.com is so search for format.com in the Windows directory and its sub directories.

Once you have a floppy with MSDOS and format on it boot from that floppy and proceed.

BTW the command is - format c:
don't put the back slash on the end

format /? will tell you all the command line switches etc.

Happy formating.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Make yourself a new 98SE boot disc on a clean formatted floppy and try again.
Go to Start then add/remove programs insert blank disk and press the make book disk tab. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

Have you paritioned the drive yet? "fdisk".

Dave

yep Daves4yah is correct - you must partition first!!

ALso, make a new startup disk (use another computer if you can) and make sure you copy the files

1. himem.sys
2. fdisk.exe
3. format.exe
4. mscdex.exe

the first three files are essential for formatting and installing. The 4th loads a generic driver for the CD -rom drive which helps to load windows. T3/\/\p()
tek-tips regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back