Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Format GroupHeader based on Detail Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeGrowth

Technical User
Aug 19, 2004
US
I have 12 ‘If’ statements to check on 16 fields on Detail section, then I format one field (called txtCurr_Version) based on the 12 ‘If’ statements. This is one of ‘if’ statement on the Detail_Format.

If IsNull(Me.txtRevision_num) Then
Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderStyle = 1
Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderColor = vbRed
Me.txtCurr_Version.ForeColor = vbRed
Exit Sub
End If

The Datail_Format is correctly formatted that way I wanted. Now, I have to format the GroupHeader1 based on the Detail format. The if logic is this:

If any of Detail’s txt.Curr_version = vbRed, then the GroupHeader1’s Me.txtTrainingName.BorderColor = vbRed, otherwise = vbGreen

The questions are
(1) Can I format the GroupHeader1 based on the Detail formatting (can I go back to format the GroupHeader)?
(2) If yes, How should I loop the detail from GroupHeader on format property?

Thank you.

No you can't look at the individual sections.

You could however use a variable that you initialize in the group header that has module scope and set it everytime you set something to red.

However, I think the group header format is going to be done by the time that code would run. Maybe if you conditionally sum the nulls...

=sum(IIF(isnull(revision),1,0)

If that is > 0 then red else green.

Thanks for the ideas...I tried many things and I have half way through.

I added a unbound field, this field turns to 1 if Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderColor = vbRed, otherwise, stay 0.

Now, how can i sum up this unbound field

I used

=Sum(txtCountRed)

That doesn't work.

You cannot sum controls in a report only data that you could get out of a query...

What was wrong with my suggestion of using a control source that sums? I did assume based on your code that the control source of txtRevision_num is revision (mostly by missing the _num)... Perhaps it is revision_num...

Code:
=sum(IIF(isnull(revision_num),1,0)

You can test that control for your condition in order to set your color.

Thank you hdookom and lameid for your reply.

Hdookon. Here is my GroupHeader on_format

Private Sub GroupHeader1_Format(Cancel As Integer, FormatCount As Integer)

If Sum(IsNull(Me.txtCountRed), 0, 1) > 0 Then
Me.txtTrainingName.BorderColor = vbRed
Else
Me.txtTrainingName.BorderColor = vbGreen
End If

End Sub

But the if statement the Sum returned compile error 'sub or function not defined'

lameid. I don't think I could use

=sum(IIF(isnull(revision_num),1,0)

because the database checks more than IsNull on revision-num field. I have other 11 'if' statements that check addition conditions. If one of 11 'if' statements is false, format the Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderColor = vbRed

Now right, I modified to mark the unbound field = 1 everywhere the Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderColor = vbRed.

If IsNull(Me.txtRevision_num) Then
Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderStyle = 1
Me.txtCurr_Version.BorderColor = vbRed
Me.txtCurr_Version.ForeColor = vbRed '255
Me.txtCountRed = 1
Exit Sub
End If

(There are other 11 'if' statements to check other conditions)

Back to my question:
How can you sum up the unbound field on my GroupHeader on format?
Thanks!

You can't sum unbound fields. You can create a text box with a running sum and then reference it in the Control Source of another text box in another section of the report.

I would have to agree with lameid that you should create an expression that uses fields from your report's record source. You could use a user-defined function. I believe this would need to reference your 11 other if statements.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thank you again hdookom and lameid for your reply.

I took your advice to add a calculation field on report's record source. This calculation field use a function to check all the conditions, the result will return 0, 1, & 2 for each record. I sum up on the headergroup, and the format will be based on the sum. It works out pretty good, I need redo and built the user-defined function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back