Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

form

Status
Not open for further replies.

edd1eg

Programmer
Jun 27, 2003
GB
Hi there,

I have not really used windows access before, and need some advice on how to achieve what i need.

Here goes, i am designing a website for a self-drive hire company, which hire (rents) out cars to the customer, and now they want this option available online, for the customer to be able to fill in all their personal information, chose what vehicle they want and what date they want it to start and end, then they will click on the submit button, and page will be displayed telling them if the vehicle is available on that date, if it is avaliable on that date it will display the price they have to pay.
Not decided on what the pay by paypal or credit card, but probably going to use worldpay for credit details.

They have 52 cars, with about 7 differnt models and range from £30 to £150, how would i start this off in windows access?, as i have never done anything like this.

thanks for any help

edd

edd1eg,
If your Access database sits on a web server, then all you need to do is design the tables in Access. No forms needed. All the work (select/update queries, reports etc) will be done by the files on your server (asp, php etc). But that's another forum! (btw I think this thread is in the wrong forum anyway).

OK, I'd probably start with a few tables.

Customers: custID (PK), custName, custDOB, custLicense, etc.
Cars: carID (PK), carName, carModel, carYear, carCostPerDay, carMileage etc.

Then you've got to have a transaction table.

Transactions: custID, carID, hireDate, (hireTime), endDate, (endTime), milesUsed, (totalCost*), etc.

*optional and not advised but you may want to include it if for some reason it differs from the calculated cost, eg. carCostperDay * (hireDate - endDate).

Try to keep it simple if your not sure. Hope that help!

Hi again,

Did you think this will be quite easy to achieve?

What forum should i post this in?

thanks

edd

Hi edd,
Is it easy to achieve? Depends whose doing it. A professional could do it in a few days.
Which forum? Depends what you need help with. Definitely not this one since you won't be needing Access Forms.
All the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back