Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form with subforms will not allow new record addition

Status
Not open for further replies.

hurrysundown

Technical User
Aug 29, 2005
US
I have created a form with several subforms incorporated into it. It does not allow me to add new records within the form. I am using autonumber for the main key. The subforms all display data from tables linked in one-to-many relationships from the main table/form. Thanks to anyone who can tell me the solution. I feel certain it is rather simple.

Do you have any referential integrity turned on with the subforms? Are you trying to add new records to the many(child) side or the one(Parent) side? Are you adding all fields or partial fields for a table? Do you have to have everything done on one form? Can some information be populated behind the scenes using VBA?
Break it down to the beginning - Main form, one subform. If that works, add another subform. etc. When it won't let you add a new record, then you can probably see why.
Autonumber - read the various postings on autonumber.

If you view the datasource for the form in a datasheet, if the new record button is disabled, then the query is not updateable and cannot edit or add records. Can you edit any data on the forms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back