Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

form validation problem with divs within form

Status
Not open for further replies.

spastica

Programmer
Sep 27, 2002
GB
i have a form with a set of divs contained within it. these divs contain form fields. the contents of the divs change according to options the user selects on the form.

So, for example, if a user selects "other" in a dropdown menu, a div inside the form will be populated with a textbox for the user type into.

i am having problems in netscape and firefox validating the form fields contained in the divs. whenever i reference the form fields or even the divs, the script throws an error saying the form fields/divs referenced have no properties. the validation script works fine when i take the fields out of the divs.

I know there is an issue with netscape where you can't have more than 1 div in a form because it reads each one as seperate? if so, how can i modify my code to make sure it works with netscape?

here is a snippet of the validation script

if (document.mtgapp.natureOfMtg[1].checked)
{
if(form.refiPurpose.value=="")
{
alert("Please specify the purpose for refinance");
form.refiPurpose.focus();
return false;
}

// REFINANCE - 'OTHER' BOX
if(document.mtgapp.refiPurpose.value=="Other")

{
if(document.mtgapp.refiPurpose_Other.value=="")

{
alert("Please specify");
form.refiPurpose_Other.focus();
return false;
}

}
}

and here is the div :

<div id="refiPricePurch" class="mainbodytext">

&nbsp;
</div>

here is the function that populates the div:

<script language="JavaScript">

// FUNCTION TO SHOW REFINANCE:OTHER (PLEASE SPECIFY) BOX IF "OTHER" OPTION IS SELECTED UNDER REFINANCE - PURPOSE
<!--
function showRefiOtherbox(formData)
{

if(formData=="Other")
{
document.getElementById('refiPurpose_OtherBox').innerHTML = "Please specify: <input maxlength=\"60\" size=\"15\" type=\"text\" name=\"refiPurpose_Other\" value=\"\">";
}
else
{
document.getElementById('refiPurpose_OtherBox').innerHTML = "";
}

}
// -->
</script>

That post's pretty hard to get through and understand. You're trying to set the innerHTML of a DIV called 'refiPurpose_OtherBox' but you already said the DIV is called 'refiPricePurch' ... ?

Have a look into using the syntax document.forms[formName].elements[elementName] btw.

That post's pretty hard to get through and understand. You're trying to set the innerHTML of a DIV called 'refiPurpose_OtherBox' but you already said the DIV is called 'refiPricePurch' ... ?

Have a look into using the syntax document.forms[formName].elements[elementName] btw.

I certainly wouldn't be setting the innerHTML property of the div.

Instead, I would create a div that looked like this:

Code:
<div id="other" style="display: none;">
Please specify:
<input maxlength="60" size="15" type="text" name="refiPurpose_Other" value="" />
</div>

And then, I'd show/hide it based on the value of the drop-down box.

Code:
function showRefiOtherbox(formData) {
    var d = document.getElementsById('other');
    d.style.display = (d.style.display == '') ? 'none' : '';
}

Hope this helps.

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
Lois: "Peter, you're drunk!"
Peter: "I'm not drunk, I'm just exhausted from stayin' up all night drinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back