Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroppy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2002
AU
Hi there,

does anyone have any good websites where one can learn how to design really good forms? Or, do I just plod my way through it until I've got it all worked out?

M

design really good forms". Beauty is in the eye...
Can you be more specific, colors, ease of entry?

I go by the less typing the better philiosophy. Users will create typos that mess up the data in a database. So, I try to use dropdowns(combobox), automate common data entry (if you have a zipcode table, you don't need to input city/state), option groups, tab control. Any basic Access book describes these.

I had one contract the company wanted to have the form look exactly like the piece of paper they used for years. So I had no choice in design.

It's a good practice to maybe draw something up and show it to your user. After all, they'll be using it.

Fair enough. "Really good forms" ... I mean a number of things including, design to be seamless, not like an Excel data entry form, and not like the basic wizard; easy to use, definitely, it's all about the users; drop down lists where required; not sure of the term, but there will be numbers (eg, cheque numbers or voucher numbers) that go into the database; colours, not planning on too many - 2 or 3, if not black and white; I do have a sheet of paper that I am thinking would make a good form, particularly as the users are used to it.

I guess I want it to look pretty much like the form they use at the moment. Some are used to using it already - but it's not linked to a data base. It looks pretty good.

I'll look for a book at the library (uni).

PS, I'll be doing everything to try to ensure they don't mess it up as I am sure they will!!!!

Thanks

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back