Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Takes really long time to close 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeadnaS

Programmer
May 30, 2011
Hi,

I have a form in Access that takes an awful long time to close. Any time I close the form it takes too long. Or when I change from design view to form view. But changing from form view to design view is instant.

What could be causing this?

What is the RecordSource of the form ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Its a table called NEW_MASTER

There is a subform on it as well its record source is: SELECT CHILD.x1, CHILD.PASS_FAIL, CHILD.TEST_TYPE, CHILD.LOT_NO, CHILD.MODEL_NO, CHILD.RANGE, CHILD.DATE_ENTERED FROM CHILD;

I noticed that closing access completely is a lot slower than just closing the form and the title bar also says (not responding) while it is closing.

I made a copy of the database and deleted the subform from the main form to see if that changed it but it was still slow. I replace the SQL statement in the record source of the subform with an actual query but that didn't speed things up either. I deleted all the VBA code in the background and closed the form, still very slow.

Not sure what else to try.

No not compacting on close either.

Im having the exact same problem.. my form takes 1minute 43seconds(a lifetime!) to close. It takes this amount of time switching from design view to normal view. It takes the same amount of time whether i repair and compact or not...
Any help would be great!!

On mine anyway the tables are allowing the displaying of subdatasheets and also the Name autocorrect option is not checked.. :(

the tables are allowing the displaying of subdatasheets
So, disallow it.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

As already mentioned the top three issues (especially if pre Access 2007) are
subdatasheets
name autocorrect
and if this is a linked database
keeping a persistent connection

They are listed here at top and described

These are usually the cause where you see problems going to and from design view. After that there are lots of other smaller tweaks to improve performance. See document
However before even looking at this I would consider the possibility of form corruption.
You can first try decompiling the database and recompiling
If that does not work then
1)Create new database
2)import all tables and compact and repair
3)import all queries
4)import all forms
5)import all reports
6)import all modules/macros
(do not do steps 2-6 at the same time but do in the following. It can help)
7)Compact and repair
8)readd any references

Thanks MajP that worked a treat. I had a "help" button that simply opened up a JPEG image of the form and how to use it. Would a JPEG image have caused all this? Ive left it out now and all seems good so thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back