Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Structure Advice/Sanity Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominicdunmow

Technical User
Jul 28, 2004
CA

Hi there...this is a little longwinded but please bear with me.

I have created a Revenue Forecasting database. Functionality should allow users to input new customer order details and secondly to be able to leaf through records to find particular orders.

A main form contains generic customer details (bound to tblCustomerDetail).

A command button on main form opens a continuous form where revenue, quarters and years are added (bound to tblCustomerRevenue).

A subform of main form displays Revenue profile (horizonatally), i.e order number and revenue over time (bound to tblXtabCustomerRevenueProfile).

To get revenue over time an xtab query pivots tblCustomerRevenue, then a make table query adds the xtab output to the tblXtabCustomerRevenueProfile.

This structure kind of works except for if I want to change customer order revenue on the continuous form, I can't immediately update that particular customer's record on the main form (by running the crosstab and then maketable query) as the tblXtabCustomerRevenueProfile is in use by the main form.

I guess I could probably get around this somehow, but it all seems rather clumsy and I can't help thinking there must be an easier way around such an apparent simple database concept.

Can anyone provide me with advice please?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back