Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form rocks....

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgp

Technical User
Mar 28, 2002
US
..unfortunately not in the good sense.
When I move to the next record, parts of the form shake like struck by an earthquake, keeps quiet and flickers again - all in less than one (to two) seconds, but very disturbing.
What do I have:
approx. 5 subforms, 5 tabs, 100 labels, 30 comboboxes, 70 textboxes, 5 OLE controls (but they are not the culprit - I have checked this), and 20 rectangles. The forms are fed by 7 main and approx. 20 lookup tables. One subform contains proprietary navigation (used for all my forms and not a problem in other cases).
One part of the form containing combo- and textboxes, as well as rectangles emulates a small spreadsheet and this is the worst.
The comboboxes are fed by SQL Select statements.
Many textboxes display lookup (DLookUp) and calculated (functions) values. I have the feeling that here is the problem.
I have tried to delete some of the controls (to check,if they are the origin), but then I have a lot of pain with the code behind the forms.
Does anybody know how to tackle this, or how to best resolve it? Anyway, is it normal for more complex forms?
I have the feeling that I can NOT present this to users...
almost finished.
Actually, I see this in other forms too, but not that strong.

Thanks, georgp

Forgto to mention that I use an api call (during form_open and form_current) as suggested in this forum to halt the window...

Declare Function acb_apiLockWindowUpdate Lib "user32" _
Alias "LockWindowUpdate" (ByVal hwndLock As Long) As Long

Sub bss_acbShowUpdates(fShow As Boolean)
If fShow Then
acb_apiLockWindowUpdate 0
Else
acb_apiLockWindowUpdate Application.hWndAccessApp
End If
End Sub

but basically no difference with and without.

georgp

[tt]
Hi georgp:

Here's some code I wrote a long time ago...still works:

Private Sub cmdCloseTenants_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_cmdCloseTenants_Click

' Halt screen flashing
Application.Echo False
' Close the form
DoCmd.Close
' Show application
Application.Echo True

Exit_cmdCloseTenants_Click:
Exit Sub

Err_cmdCloseTenants_Click:
MsgBox Err.Description
Resume Exit_cmdCloseTenants_Click

End Sub

The error handling is really important if you're going to hide the Application.

HTH[/tt]

[glasses][tt]Gus Brunston - Access2000(DAO)
Skill level based on 1-10: 7, on the way to 6, and beyond!
Webmaster: www.rentdex.com[/tt]

[tt]
Anyone:

After I wrote, "The error handling is really important if you're going to hide the Application." I looked at my code and didn't see the application.echo turned back on if there was an error. Isn't that necessary?[/tt]

[glasses][tt]Gus Brunston - Access2000(DAO)
Skill level based on 1-10: 7, on the way to 6, and beyond!
Webmaster: www.rentdex.com[/tt]

Gus,

thanks a lot. In fact,I (have) use(d) this kind of code, but it did not help - neither in the Form_Current nor in the cmd_Next (etc) modules.
In my 'spreadsheet' part I make calculations which will change the values, the backcolor and the lock status of approx. 30 tet and combobox controls as well as some rectangles with which I hide (for optical reasons) the dropdown arrows of the combos. I feel here is the problem.

Finally, in your code you can set
'Application.Echo True' after the

Exit_cmdCloseTenants_Click:
Application.Echo false
Exit Sub

then it will turn on for sure...

Again, thanks.
Regards, georg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor