Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

form onsubmit: one function for the website

Status
Not open for further replies.

KryptoS

Programmer
Feb 7, 2001
BE
Hello,

Just wondering if it's possible to write one onsubmit function for every form in my website. So that the function is called when a form is submitted. I don't want to add onsubmit in every form tagg.

I just want to display a message when a form is submitted. Something like 'data is submitted, please wait'.

So I would add to the page head something:
document.form.onSubmit = alert('please wait');

I just have one index.php that is called and that's including content from other pages. So you understand that I would only need to declare this function in the index-page and that it would call the function everytime a form is submitted.

(I hope I explained it clear)

visit my website at

Hi

Like this ?
Code:
function whatever()
{
  alert('submitting')
}
window.onload=function() {
  for (var i=0,l=document.forms.length;i<l;i++) document.forms[i].onsubmit=whatever
}

Feherke.

Yes something like that. One way or the other it's calling the function when it loads the page? So it's not working.

Anyway you gave me a good direction and I managed to do it.
I'm not explaining how because it was not with javascript, I'm working with the Zend framework and I could easy add the onsubmit to all forms...

Just another question now. I submit my form with javascript. So I have a button with onClick="javascript:submit();". Is it normal that when you submit a form like that the 'onSubmit' isn't called?

And one final question. I want to do something similar but then always when a user clicks e.g. a link. So he clicks, page start going to the link... so would be nice to get a message. Is this easy to do?

visit my website at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back