Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Goes Blank

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperG

Programmer
Mar 24, 2000
CA
One of the Main Data Entry screens in my database will sometimes go blank when a user switches back to it from another form.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

SuperG,

Can you give us more details. Does the form recover from this blank state? Does it occur when switching from the same other form? The more info you can give us the more help we can be.

Perrin

When the form goes blank I cannot recover it and have to ctrl-alt-del and end the task.

It happens seemingly at random switching from one of two other forms back to the form that goes blank.

I am running Paradox 10 on WinXP Pro with a Win2k server in the back. The server is also running an instance of SQL Server 2000. At this time the network people do not want to disable opportunistic locking on the server as they don't know what kind of effect if any it may have on the SQL Server.

The forms that goes blank has 5 tables attached to it, I have checked the tables and they do not require a rebuild.

Thank you for your time.

Glenn

SuperG,

Without disabling opportunistic locking on the server you WILL have problems, usually corrupt tables. Try and convince them to make the change. I don't use SQL server so I can't address any problems it may cause, maybe Lance or someone else out there knows. Are you running SP1 on the XP machine? Now back to the blank form, I had a similar problem that I struggled with for a quite a while last month. Forms would go blank and lock up, I would have to crash out of Paradox and delete lock files in order to get things working again. I finally found a bug in Microsoft SMB services that appeared to be causing the problem, it's a known problem with win2k server and xp machines running sp1 although I think it may be a broader problem than they admit. Search for TSB q329170 or visit I installed the patch on my server and things have worked perfectly since.

Search for my thread "Paradox 10 Win2k/XP Problems" for more details

let me know if this helps
Perrin

I will pursue the opportunistic locking issue with them again and see if I can find out if the patch you mentioned is on the server.

My XP is service pack one as well as a variety of SP2 hotfixes including the Q329170 for Win XP Pro.

Thank you for your time.

I will check out your thread andlet you know how I do.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back