Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form docking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdh

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
GB
I have a main form in a sdi application which contains a large picturebox I would like to be able to get other forms in the application to dock inside that picturebox can anybody help?

I have tried making the form.top and .left = the picturebox.top and left to no avail.

Please help

thanks
sdh
::)

use the following, where Form1 is the main form containing the picture box, Picture1 is the picture box, and Form2 is the form you are trying to dock:

Form2.Move (Form1.Top + Picture1.Top + 4), (Form1.Left + Picture1.Left + 4)

I added 4 pixel for the Form1 border. Adjust this as necessary.

Best Regards and many Thanks!
Michael G. Bronner X-)

"They who drink beer will think beer." Washington Irving

Thanx Micheal I will try it when I am back in the office.

-I assume it goes in the form2 load event?

have a good weekend

sdh
::)

Exactly :) You might need to play around with the +4 to get it exactly on the pixel you want.
:)

Take Care Best Regards and many Thanks!
Michael G. Bronner X-)

Would this be possible to use with a MDI also?

newbie..

sure :) just write it like this:

Form1.Move (MDIForm1.Top + Picture1.Top + 4), (MDIForm1.Left + Picture1.Left + 4) Best Regards and many Thanks!
Michael G. Bronner X-)

Hi,
I get run-time error 424, objekt required when I try this both on a MDIform and a SDIform.
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

Thanks, Jan Tore

I tried what Michael suggested (setting the form's left and top) ..but it seems like some property needs to be set..for the picturebox...since my form2 appears below the picturebox and a little right of the left border of the mdi form...

I also tried form2.left = mdiform.left and it didn't work either.

Help.

Anyone think of maybe using the SetParent API?

Code:
'Global declare
Public Declare Function SetParent Lib "USER32" (ByVal hWndChild As Long, ByVal hWndNewParent As Long) As Long

Private sub Form1_Load()
    SetParent form1.hWnd, frmMain.picture1.hWnd
end sub

Now I am not sure how stable the SetParent is or if it will work well in this instance, but you may want to give it a shot.

Hope this helps out some.
Mavors
Cincinnati, Ohio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back