Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Display Data from Two Tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yu

Programmer
Feb 26, 2001
SG
I have a main table and another table contain employee's medical information.

main table Medical information
------------ -------------------
Name | | Name
address | | First visit date
zipcode | | Last visit date
status | | ''
'' | | ''
'' | | ''
------------ |---------------- ^^
|
|
----------------------------
| Name Field
| Address zipcode
Form | Last visit date
| First visit date
| ''
|-------------------------------
I create a Fom base on the medical information table, and I want to retrieve employee address from the main table to display on the Form whenever I add a new record to the medical Information. So users don't have to type in their address and zipcode, but only need to enter "first visit date" and "last visit date" ..etc...

I did create a querry to do it on the Form. It allow me to view data from both table, But it doesn't allow me to edit the fieds, I get the error message
" the recordset is not updatable "

Any Suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Suspect your table structure and relationships may be part of the problem.

The Employees table in the Northwind database can serve as an example. Note that each employee has a unique EmployeeID (Autonumber-key field), and that no employee is duplicated.

Look at the relationships window to see how the Employees table is related to the Orders table in a one to many relationship based on the EmployeeID. This would correspond to your Employee/Medical Information situation.

Given this relationship, you can create an updatable query (the fields that are bound to another table will not be updatable).

Re your form: Medical information, standing alone, isn't of much use unless it's linked to a particular individual. Therefore, base your form on the Employee table, with a subform containing the medical information. Provided you setup the relationship described above, the forms wizard will build this for you--first select fields from the employees table, then desired fields from the Medical Information table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back