Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

form data source

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjm3857

Vendor
Sep 23, 2002
US
I have 2 related questions, I suspect that the answere to 1 will answer the other.

How can I change the table or tables that a form uses for it's data source?

I have always used the wizard to start a form, and then made modifications after. Can I start a blank form, and then associate it with a table or tables?

on the record source property

Just open a blank form and either attach to table or SQL

you might also want to aler the record source at the click of a button

Me![OrganisationsSubForm].Form.RecordSource =MyRecordSource

where myrecordsource is an SQL string

I don't mean to sound stupid, but how do I attach a form to a table?

I am a "part time" or "leisure/hobby" access user, so my knowledge is spotty.

hjm,
You can use the "Record Source" property in the form. You get to this "property", by right clicking the mouse, and on the menu at the bottom is properties.

Once inside the properties menu, you need to highlight the form so that you get the form properties. Either click on any dark gray part of the form that has no design in it, or click on the upper left corner of the form where the two rulers come together (there will be a black dot in this box once it is clicked, the property sheet will also say form at the top). Then under the "Data" tab the first property will be record source. Click on the drop down menu to the right to select the table that you would like to use. If you want more than one table, then you must use a query.

Hope this helps. Good luck!!

Cool

Thanks so much,

That helped allot. I appreciate the knowledge. As a last question, do you have a suggestion for a good book for Access design & VBA education?

Hopefully others will answer this post. I have found this site to be extremely helpful. Look at other people's questions and answers. Try them out yourself. Try to understand what the program is doing, and then try stuff on your own. Check out the visual basic forum inside Tek-Tips. You should be able to find a link on the lower right side of this page.

You could also try I am signed up with the newsletter, but I have not tried the VBA course. You might want to check that out. Julie Mission runs that site, and she is pretty knowledgeable. She will also try to answer your questions if she can.

As far as books, I have not looked in to any so I cannot help. Good luck with your search for knowledge. Access can be a pretty powerful program when you unlock its potential. And Tek-Tips definitely helps you find out things that you can do with Access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back