Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Form Builder: INSERT INTO statement doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

SashaBuilder3

Programmer
Jan 13, 2002
CA
Hi everybody,

Newbie questions. I created a stored procedure which reads data from a text file and populates a table with new records using INSERT INTO statement. The procedure works OK when called from within SQL*Plus environment.

Now I want to make a form called for the same job - loading the table. I created a data block, placed an item - push button, added to it a trigger WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED and copied the procedure here. It compiles without problems and even starts working - it reads a first line from the file but stops on INSERT INTO statement giving an error message:

FRM-40735: WHEN-BUTTON-PRESSED trigger raised unhandled exception ORA-01830.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? By the way, where can I find a list of all those ORA-XXXXX exceptions?

One more thing. At some point in the procedure I use the Trim() function. But in Forms it gives me a compilation error (Identifier TRIM must be declared). Why doesn't the Forms recognize it?

Thanks,

Alexandre

Trim function is relatively new to Oracle and not yet implemented in Forms (it uses older pl/sql engine). Try to use ltrim(rtrim()) instead.

Hi ..
I sorted out a similar problem, I was getting ORA-01722 when recompiling a form (it is running successfuly in my lap-top with oracle 8) in a new server with Oracle 8i .. I spend some hours in try-and-error ended up to: the select into statement has no error but the 'where clause' was having a sigmentation and concatination in the first variable like - where substr(idno,1,3)||firstname = xyz -
( just flip the statement ..xyz before the =)
hope it means something to u.
Thanx.

i had the same problem.
i think u should use the select into clause if u want to insert data from the file into form.
then use the commit_form or simply commit to save the data from the form into table.
you can write
select field into :block_name.item_name from
table;
I hope this works.

ORA-01830 is 'date format picture ends before converting entire string' or similar. You possibly have a problem with a TO_DATE or TO_CHAR function on a date, and you have different default date settings on your local PC than in the database.

Compare the NLS_DATE_FORMAT in your registry against the default date format in the database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back