Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forensics

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnBoy

MIS
Mar 12, 2003
Speaking of forensics (well, Marvin was in another thread), I've been experimenting with Nexic's Discovery Agent to handle our Freedom of Information Act requests. It is so incredibly powerful and efficient it's almost scary. You can search against online or offline POs, including user archives. I've convinced my boss to buy it and it will pay for itself with the first FOI request I process with it.

Anybody else have any experience with Nexic's products?

I haven't used Nexic personally but I have heard nothing but good about it. The thing about Nexic is that its supposed to be highly scalable and efficient when it comes to messages and pointers and stuff. What I mean is, say you have 1 message that was sent to 1500 users in your system. My understanding is that with Nexic, it keeps track of the pointers and everything so that only one entry is required. Some other products use a flat xml file, so in the same scenario you would end up with 1500 records.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

The modules I'm toying with will export the search result set to either XML or to an Oracle DB. Either way the results are surprisingly small, probably due to the pointers as you mention.

If I use the XML, I can view it with Nexic's Discovery Client which lets me export to disk, which gives me a series of folders. Each folder contains 1 email in plain text, with any attachments.

This is perfect for handing info over to the attorneys. Since I never viewed a single email in this process all I should ever have to do is testify as to the search terms used, leaving me pretty much out of the loop in court. IE, I make no judgement calls, I simply search for the terms specified in the request and get out of the way. Lovely.

</gush>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back