Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forcing traffic to 1 NIC when you have 2 NICs in box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phizaleo

MIS
Aug 21, 2004
US
I am running Solaris 8 and have 2 NICs, one 10/100 and one GigE. I am running oracle 9i and need to synch to an external solaris box. The problem is that oracle is trying to synch over the 10/100 which can take several hours. Is there a way to force this "heavy" traffic to use the GigE link and other "casual" traffic to use the 10/100 link?

Thanks

Can you not put the external Solaris box and the gig card onto a different network? Maybe connect them directly with cross over cables?

Steve

this is a routing problem. run "netstat -rn", this is this host's routing table. It works as a "first match" tabele, which means, if your destination matches the first column, this entry will be used. Hostroutes will be on top of this list, next netroutes last defaultroute and home.
You can use "route add -host ipofspooler ipofyourgigabit 1" (-> man route) to set a host route, nota to add this to a eg. /etc/rc2.d/S70routing file to have them back again after a reboot.

If your gigabit Ethernet has another IP range you will get another routing table entry with plumb in your nic with the ifconfig command, which means, you don't habe to configure net or host routings. The gig net routing entry will match in the routring table before the default route will be found.

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years in the domain of the OS, Backup and Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back