Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forcing a specific Context to be used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeS

MIS
Aug 14, 2002
Hi all,

I am wondering if it is possible to force a specific Context to be used in a query.

I've two Contexts. My reports is generated by using to queries (union). In query 1 either Context should be used and in the second query the ohter Context (not used in query 1) should be used.

Is it possible to avoid the situation where the user is asked to select a Context for each query?

Thanks,

Serge

I think that context issues can be resolved by including an object that is exclusive to that context. It may be an item you don't need to display, but you can leave it off of the report, and just leave it in the query grid. That way it won't have to ASK which context, because that one object will answer it.
Hope that made sense

ainkca

Another solution:

You can force an universe object to always use an specific context by attaching a table of that context to it (object properties -> "Tables..." button).

Then you can split an object into two (or a class into two). Both objects (or classes) will differ in one extra table attached to force the use of one context.

Yet another solution:

Remove the context by using Alias Tables.

With either solutions, you must continue using a union in the query.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back