Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Forced to Power cycle Autoloader each time I load a new magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonProphet

IS-IT--Management
Feb 27, 2003
US
We have a Novell 5.1 server connected to an external Seagate Scorpion 240 Autoloader (8420 Firmware) via an Adaptec 2940UW. We're running BackupExec 9.0 (just upgraded to the latest build - Anyone one else hate the JAVA Administration Console?!) The Scorpion takes a 6 tape magazine. We are using a Media Rotation (Grandfather) backup method which uses 6 magazines.

All is well until I have to swap magazines. Backup Exec's Active Job Monitor cycles through the "Opening Tape Drive" to "Closing Tape Drive" then claims there is no media detected and puts the job on hold. If I reach back and power cycle the Seagate (Thank God it's external!), then resubmit the job, Viola! BE is happy and the job proceeds. Which is the culprit?; the tape deck, the software or the SCSI card?

Now that I scroll through the post in this thread I see that it isn't a well visited area. Nevermind then. Thanks anyway.

I am glad I found your message. I am having nightmares with 2 different servers.
Servers are new with Novell 6 SP3
New version of BackupExec (because of server upgrade) BE9 Build 4175

Taken from the old server (which worked before the upgrade):
Adaptec 29160 card using latest Novell 6 driver from Adaptec
Seagate Scorpion Autoloader
Original cable
These above items all worked on previous servers

Problem 1: When loading the scsi driver the tape drive registers as an "unbound device". I am not certain if it is a problem with the scsi card, the software, etc.

Problem 2: Sometimes backup exec works when loaded, sometimes it gives me errors (1054 timeout, 1050 Unknown Device Driver). Other times it loads and seems to be fine.

Problem 3: After changing tapes in the magazine I am unable to run an inventory from Backup Exec.

Are you experiencing any similar problems?

No, sorry. I had no issues with the device drivers. Novell 5.1 and BENW saw it just fine. My problem was that I wasn't running the inventory utility before submitting the backup job. I still hate the software though.

You're definately having a hardware/driver issue it sounds like. Good luck. Sorry I can't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back