Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force prior .net framework

Status
Not open for further replies.

grnzbra

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
US
I work in an environment that does not allow any software not on an approved list to be installed on any computers. Visual Studio .net is not on the approved list. Also, the .net framework on the computers is 1.1.

We had the idea of developing applications on our personal laptops and then installing it on the existing computers (software that is developed in house is ok). However, most of us have later versions of the .net framework and inevitably, the apps we develop on our own laptops look for something that is not in the 1.1 framework.

Is there any way to force Visual Studio to confine itself to using the 1.1 framework?

1.1 to 2.0 is a breaking change. 2.0 to 3.5 can be backwards compatible if you stick with the BCL of 2.0 (no linq, wpf, lambda's, etc.).

i'm sure you're not the first person to encounter this issue, but I don't think there is a remedy for it. I know VS08 allows you to target various .net frameworks, but I'm not sure if it goes all the way back to 1.1.

it sounds like you are working for either an extremely conservative company, or the government. in either case it doesn't make sense to write an application on the .net framework, without the tools to do so. it's like asking a contractor to build a house, but you cannot bring any power tools with you. You 'can' do it, but it's tedious at best.

I would talk with the decision makers to find a better solution for the development phase of your work. either use a language and IDE that is supported by the entity, or get approval for the tools required to develop .net applications effectively.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

Thank you for the clarification

The gummint. All programming has to be done with Notepad. VS has been a constant request for several years.

All programming has to be done with Notepad.
WTF! I can't imagine the reasoning behind that.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190
faq732-7259

I see maybe two fixes. One on your laptops for the framework 1.1 stuff use only VS2003.

VS 2008 you can only target 2.0, 3.0, 3.5

Two. If you can not have VS2003 and need to use Notepad, then uninstall all .net frameworks except 1.1 including any service packs unless the service packs are installed on the target machine.

Ordinary Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back