Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force File Download

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmonkey

MIS
Aug 26, 1998
US
Hi, I have some PDF files embedded as href links. For visitors with Acrobat properly installed who click these links, the PDFs will actually open in their browser. I don't want this to happen! I want to force a download instead. I'm posting this question here (not under the Acrobat section) since this is not unique to PDFs -- Generally, if a browser recognizes a file extension/type, it tries to open it. I do not want to solve this by "misnaming" files, with the wrong extensions. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Maybe it would be easiest just to compress them as .zip archives or .exe self-extractors, then they should download with no questions asked. (Unless your clients happen to have WinZip's plugin unzipper utility installed, though I think htat this utility wouldstill force the DECOMPRESSED .pdf file to be saved instead of just viewed directly from the 'net.)<br>
If this doesn't help, ask Thau if he knows how to disactivate the navigator's ability to open .pdf files directly. (and if that doesn't work, contact me & I'll help you research the issue)<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
<br>
<br>
ICQ#: 34916735<br>
E-mail: robherc@netzero.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back