Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force CDE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedragon2

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2003
US
Is it possible to force a user to only use the CDE desktop vice the JAVA desktop in Solaris 10?

Thank you

[Blue]Blue[/Blue] [Dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Let me adjust the question, is it possible to remove items in the /options/sessions submenu during logon?

Thanks

For anyone interested, I found a way by:

Comment out the first two lines in /usr/dt/config/C/Xresources.d/Xresources.jsd

A star for posting back with the answer Blue!

I want to be good, is that not enough?

I've set people up with captive accounts and restricted shells before. You can set it up so their login shell is replaced by an application. It opens up only the application you want a user to run and when they exit the application it logs them out.

You can setup /usr/lib/rsh and then specify what directory you want the user to stay in or the authorized actions by modifying the .profile file.

It's pretty fun to lock a system down nice and tight too. Good luck!

Luke

thanks graveslu, but all I wanted is to restrict access to the GNOME Java login. We customize our CDE interface to allow the users to run the multitude of applications from the right click menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back