Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force administrator Logout

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterHT

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2004
US
I have a 2003 server installed at a customer. They do not have access to the server for obvious reasons. I have a BACKUP account setup to allow them just enough access to check backups.

The problem is when I forget to logout from the server. The screen saver locks the console and requires the administrator password to unlock, which the customer doesnt have access to.

Is there anyway to setup the administrator account to LOGOUT after inactivity, or force the locking mechanism to logout instead?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Peter

I don't know the answer to the exact question you asked, but you could try a different route: you could create another account, give it admin rights, and then specifically disallow it the right to log on to the server. That way the client could use that account and username to force your admin account to log off, but they couldn't use it to log on. They would then use the BACKUP account to log on.

ShackDaddy

Why don't you have that user Terminal Server to this server, to check the backups? Set it up in Admin Mode, and configure it so that the user can Terminal Server in.

MikeL

The problem with that is that, by definition, a user terminaling into a server in "Admin mode" is in the Administrator's group.

ShackDaddy

Thanks -- those are some good ideas.

You can give other users the right to use Terminal Server in Admin Mode, they don't have to be Administrators. Go into the "Terminal Services Configuration" MMC. Right mouse click on RDP-TCP and choose Properties. Click on the Permissions Tab. Add whoever you want and give them User Access.

MikeL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back