Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fonts Win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikiman

Programmer
Nov 25, 2002
CA
When I try to use the " in FM 5.5 I get Ó instead - Any thoughts

The question is not stated very clearly, however since you are a programmer I suppose you are talking about an FDK problem. In this case, and if the quote is actually a curly quote, the answer is very simple. FM uses its own character encoding for extended ASCII. If you specify extended characters programatically as strings you must convert them from the FM encoding to the platform encoding before using them. I use a simple function written by myself to do the job (both to convert from FM to Platform encoding and vice versa). Of course you can ,if you prefer, write strings directly in FM encoding using control characters (like "\0xXXQuoted string\0xYY" where XX and YY are FM codes for open and closed curly quotes for example). You can find information about FM encoding in help file provided with FM.

I suppose this is really directed at Kerlin ;-)
I too have problems with certain characters, including ' ä ö ü (yes, I work on a German version of Win XP, but with an English language version of FM 5.5). The encoding is fine in all installed fonts, apart from Times and Helvetica, which is the corporate font, so I need a solution.
Helvetica-Narrow, -Condensed work fine and the sample text in ATM Lite 4.1 (including the patch) also shows the appropriate characters. When I copy the file onto a W2000 platform and open it, I get an error message indicating unavailable character encodings, but the internal conversion then shows the correct rendering.
I've tried deleting the font and reinstalling, and also uninstalling ATM but with no luck. As I'm a user, not a programmer, I can't write any scripts, etc. I can't find any relevant info on the Adobe web site (which makes me think there was a problem with the installation, perhaps because I also have FM 7.0 installed). Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back