Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fonts Used In Illustrator and Suitcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpoul34

Technical User
Jul 22, 2008
US
I am trying to open a PDF in Illustrator (CS3) and it keeps telling me I do not have HelveticaCondensed in my font library. In Suitcase Fusion I have 5 different HelveticaCondensed fonts yet none of them work in the document.

How do I determine the correct font to use to open this document?

...in acrobat you can view the fonts used in a document by choosing "file > properties > (fonts tab)" and in acrobat pro, you can use the preflight function to get more detailed info on fonts used...

...there it will list the type and also the encoding...

...when you open the pdf in illustrator you can change the font using the "type > find font" menu, and change to one you do have active on your system...

...it may well be that you have helvetica condensed, but there are different types of helvetica made by different vendors (same is true with many other fonts)...

...in theory your pdf should open if you have the "exact" same font used by the creator...

...your next best option is to just replace it in illustrator with "find font" and then verify it against the original PDF you have to ensure nothing has moved, dropped off etc, etc...

...you can do the comparison back in acrobat when you have exported your "edited" version from illustrator...

andrew

============
============

the airport lost my suitacse; can you loan me a font til next tuesday?

'There is no LEASH LAW for the IMAGINATION!'
myspace.com/erixworx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back