Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fonts change size from one computer to another

Status
Not open for further replies.

extradifficult

Technical User
Mar 23, 2009
US
I do not know if this is an illustrator problem or a font problem. I work in an art dept with several macs. there are differences in OS from one computer to another as well as with CSs. That is CS 5.something and CS 5.something else. Several days ago my computer finally graduated to the same level as the others and I have not encountered the problem yet so I don't know if the problem still exists but the following is a description of what has happened.

I started a job and when ready, released it. when the proofs came back (and i was out) someone else had to make some changes. they noticed that something was not right (unknown) and made corrections and re released the work. new proofs came back a few days later which i looked at. the characters were larger than they should have been. i and the other person who worked on this job sent the art back and forth between our 2 computers until we figured out that on mine the characters were one size and on the other, another size. at that point i attributed it to the font but again, while the other artist was out, i had to work jobs started on the other computer using a diffeent set of fonts and the problem appeared again.

instinct tells me to delete all fonts, make sure all applications and OS are the same from one computer to another and then cautiously add only one known family of fonts and send docs back and forth to see if the problem is there or not. but i'd like to know if anyone has experienced this and knows what causes it. it could lead to disastrous results. i also wonder if it could be a fontbook issue. i used to use suitcase and wonder if using it again would be helpful, (or not). please let me know if you need any other information.

...in all my years i have never heard of this problem occuring, even between windows and mac versions...so long as you are absolutley sure the fonts are the same across all machines and the fonts aren't corrupted...

...the same named fonts can indeed be different if the fonts are made by different font vendors.

...as you suggest it could be a corrupt font being used.

...i can't believe it is an OS version issue.

...it could be a different CS version in some cases, as Adobe did change their font rendering engine a while back, but you normally get a warning about it when opening an older illustrator version in a newer version of illustrator. At worst, type might reflow a bit, i can't believe it would change the size of the font though.

...if a given illustrator doc opens in all versions and the font size (in points) indicate the same but print out different sizes, i would suspect a font corruption problem.

...font corruption is probably the most likely cause to my mind if the point sizes say the same in applications but print out differently.

...now if this only occurs with certain fonts and not all fonts, i would be inclined to rebuild your computers font libraries (as a starting point) from a known good backup.

Andrew
==============
- Graphic Design and Web Design, Exeter, Devon, UK.
==============

make sure that the fonts on each computer are exactly the same.

delete from one and copy from the other to ensure font accurace.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back