Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fonts Apparently Not Embedded

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeboy4

Technical User
Jul 2, 2005
US
I make lots of PDF/X-1a files directly from InDesign with no problems. However I am having a problem with one file. The pre-press guy at the printing company said the fonts are not embedded. I am doing nothing different from what I usually do. He looked at other of my files and the fonts are there. The only thing I can see that might be the problem is this: When I hit "Export PDF" from inside InDesign, and then click on the "Advanced" tab, there is a "Font" box to the right. Inside that box it says: "Only fonts with appropriate permission bits will be embedded." Could it be that all my other fonts have "appropriate permission bits" and that's why they embdded okay, but these fonts don't? I'm using various weights of Delta Jaeger. All of my fonts were legally bought. How can I solve this problem?

Also, how can I look at a PDF file and see if the fonts are in fact embedded?

Some font designers don't allow their fonts to be embedded - even when purchased. I don't know what you can do besides look for a substitute or try to turn them into image data in Indesign. I don't know if that can be done, since Indesign is not my thing, but I thought you could do that in some programs.

Either way, I think it's workaround time. . .

Hope this helps,
Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back