Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font View on Monitor is distorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

pobajo

Technical User
Jan 30, 2004
US
Quark 6.5
Mac OS 10.4.8

Some fonts are not showing correcty onscreen. The particular one I'm using now is an OpenType font Wastrel. At the view I work in, sometimes there appears to be a space or two gap between words (which actually isn't there) or letters may show ontop of each other. Even within a word, there may be a space between letters (which again, actually aren't there).

This is very frustrating. It is very hard to work with this as it always looks as though there are mistakes, then you zoom up and it all looks fine. But, at the (fit in window) percentage I use for my monitor, which is 134.9%, it is not looking good at all. Changing to 120% and upwards doesn't help. At about 200% it starts looking correct, but that is not an option to work with. I need to see the whole page..

Others in our department have had the same problem with fonts. Can anyone shed light on this. Is it a Quark problem, a font problem, or an operating system problem.

Thanks much in advance
pobajo

I thought Q 6X had problems handling open type fonts.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 & G5

Hi pobajo
I don't have that particular font to check but I am running Quark 6.52 on OS 10.4.11.
Why not upgrade to OS 10.4.11 and Quark 6.52 if needed and see if that helps?
IMacQuarker

Someone has 6.52 and OS 10.11 and still the Wastrel font presents a distortion problem.

I took this font/problem home and tried it on my 6.52 Quark and OS 10.3.9. No problem at all. So, I'm leaning on the OS or Quark and the OS not cooperating with each other.

Back at work this a.m. I checked the view again. With my normal working view about 134%, I experimented with views from 130 to 135. Can you believe the problem does not appear at 133% or 134% ! But, at 130, 131, 132 and 135, it is all distorted. So, if I keep it at 133 or 134 I won't have a viewing problem.

Since we cannot solve this problem or pinpoint just where the culprit lies, can anyone tell me if I can set my view to always come out at 134? I looked but could not find anything. This would be a tremendous help. Not sure this works for everyone, but I think whoever works with a font that views poorly just has to play around with percentages until he finds something that works.

So, anyone who can help me permanently change my view, please let me know asap and THANKS.

pobajo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back