Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font style substitution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foamcow

Programmer
Nov 14, 2002
GB
I have a peculiar problem occuring regarding fonts and the style menu in Quark.

It appears that from time to time we have fonts being switched for a styled version.

For example:

A job containing 75 Helvetica Bold is opened later and the font has changed to 55 Helvetica Roman + Bold.

Now, at first I put this down to user error. A member of staff setting the job up using the style menu.
However, they are insisting that they aren't doing this and further investigation seems to reveal that they may well be telling the truth.

I'm not ruling user error out, but it would be useful to know if anyone else has ever had a problem like this.

Incidentally, as we can recall it always seems to happen with jobs using various weights of helvetica.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Buy Languedoc wines in the UK

Were the fonts (the real ones - 75 Bold) loaded prior to opening the document? what version quark, OS, and what font management utility do you use?

Oops
I should know better than to miss that info out.

I have tried it both with the fonts loaded prior to opening and without them loaded.

I am on Mac, OSX 10.3.9

Quark 6.5 (Patch level 0)

I am using Suitcase 10.2.2 for font management.

I'm still not yet ruling out user error though.

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Buy Languedoc wines in the UK

Very strange. I had something similar a month or so ago - it was an error with the suitcase engine - seemed to be loaded, but crashed me out. Or I would check usage and the fonts would show up as bitmap under type instead of postscript. I ended up trashing all of the suitcase prefs and reloading fonts. What a bear!

User error could be - there's no rogue style-sheets setup are there?

You might try clearing your font caches. A cache could be corrupt, or Q is reading it as corrupt, and a substitution being used.

The easiest way is to use Font Finagler (availabe from versiontracker.com). Download and run it.

There's only one fly in the ointment here. Font finagler clears the mac caches but not necessarily those used by apps. It doesn't clear the Adobe ones. You just search "adobefnt/lst" and trash those. Since I still use Q4, I don't know if Q6.5 creates its own caches or where they could be.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back