Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font size, screen resolution affecting the web form

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushdib

Programmer
Jun 12, 2001
US
Hi,
I designed the web form in my development environment which has XP and I am using small fonts (normal size), and a screen resolution of 1024 X 768.
After deploying the app on the server and whenever a user opens the page (if the user has setup to use large fonts on their OS), the objects on the web form are moved.
How do I get around this? I want the page to be consistent regardless of the screen and font settings by each user

Thank you,

Rushdi

rush:

This is a problem a lot of face on a daily basis. In Window forms I have seen several pieces of code that can automatically adjust size, etc., but not in ASP.NET (doesn't mean it may not be out there however).

The way I deal with this situation is to break down the form into an html table, e.g., say you have a line with someting on the left (30 characters) and then you want something on the right (15 characters), create 2 columns (<td align="left">...</td>...<td align="right">...) giving each column enough "room" to accomodate larger fonts.

In this way, no matter how large the font sized is increased there is "never" any "overlap" which is the biggest problem to deal with.

There are other ways I am sure, and would like to hear some input on this also.

All you have to do is set the font-size style for the text so it wont expand based on browser settings. I assume you are using absolute positioning and when browser settings are changed you are getting text over top of your form controls.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back