Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font size and mail merge 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyperiest

Technical User
Dec 26, 2002
US
AARGH! I have a Word(2000) template for creating certificates with data stored in an Access2K database. I have figured out all the switches for formats, except one: fonot size. The problem I am having is that in one case, the merge field resizes itself to 12 point on its own. I have set the format for the font to 10 point using every built in method that Word provides, but when the data merges, it switches back to 12 point. Can someone out there please tell me if there is a switch for specifiying the font size of a merged data field?

Captain_D
"Taking Care of America's Sons and Daughters"

Have you tried CHARFORMAT and MERGEFORMAT? The following extracts from the Word help file explain them:

If you update a field, formatting you apply directly to the field results may be lost. To retain the formatting, include the \* MERGEFORMAT switch in the field code. Word includes this switch if you insert a field by using the Field command on the Insert menu and select the Preserve formatting during updates check box.

\* CHARFORMAT applied the formatting of the first letter of the field type to the entire result. Eg if the the "R" in "REF" is in bold in the following, then the whole of "Whates of the Pacific will be in bold (\* REF chapter2_title \* Charformat.

HTH
BerylM

I have not figured out how to format the Word merge document. My document is merged with an Access2002 query. I can't apply the swithces to format numbers

e.g. To display the number "34987.89" as "$34,987.89," add a numeric picture switch (\# $#,###.00).

I press Alt+F9 and reveal the merge codes:
{MERGEFIELD "Net" \# 0.00x}

The answer is always: 0.45000000000000001, no matter how change the Format switch. I've tried all these examples and the number displayed is always 0.45000000000000001.

QUOTE From office.microsoft.com/: X Drops digits to the left of the "x" placeholder. If the placeholder is to the right of the decimal point, Word rounds the result to that place. For example:
{ = 111053 + 111439 \# x## } displays "492".
{ = 1/8 \# 0.00x } displays "0.125".
{ = 3/4 \# .x } displays ".8". END QUOTE

The Access2002 table from which the data comes from is set to Number, Double, Fixed 8 places.

How do I format the merged document to display to 6 or 8 decimal places?

Thank you.

Robert

Well...I figured out what I why the new formatting did not display when I pressed Alt+F9. After changing the formating with the formating switch, you can't just hit Alt+F9. You simply have to hit Alt+F9, then toggle through "Preview recient" in Mail Merge to re-query the database. Then the formatting is applied to the new query. Whew! Thanks.

Robert

How does one format a telephone number to disply?
I would like my telephone number to display as (713) 522-3333, and not 7135223333 as it currently does in my Word merge document?

Thanks.

Robert

Another Word/Merge question: I have a field that contains the USPS code for the state in table1. Eg. OK. In table2, I have the state USPS code and State name, e.g.:

AK Alaska
AL Alabama
AR Arkansas

I enter my data through a form into table 1. If the state is AK, I want the merge to print the name Alaska. I've searched for a Lookup in the merge form and don't see how to create it. How do I perform the merge so the state is spelled out?

Thanks.

Robert

Ann:

Thanks for your reply. I finally figured out a solution. I added the table to my query and linked the two fields, adding the new field to the query. I added that field to my Word merge fields and that resolved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back