Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Font not smooth 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksbigfoot

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
CA
I am using CS2.
I am using an Arial Black Regular 30pt font.
The letters are not smooth looking, very rough around the edges. I am not sure if I need to supply more information, but could someone point me in the right direction of why the letters are not smooth?
Thanks

You need to turn on Anti-Aliasing. On your Character panel, you'll see a drop-down menu that has "None" selected. That is your Anti-Aliasing mode selection menu.

If you've already typed your text, highlight all of it with the Text tool. Then pull down that menu and try each of the four anti-aliasing modes ("Sharp," "Crisp," "Strong," or "Smooth.)

If you want to understand what anti-aliasing does, zoom in on your text to full zoom (3200%) while you're applying the different modes. You'll see that the text is jagged looking with no anti-aliasing. That is the nature of raster images. Because the image (in this case, the text) is built from square pixels, a true curve or diagonal line is impossible to make. Pixels are square blocks that can't be cut in half or sliced diagonally. So what anti-aliasing does is fills the jagged edges with lighter shades of color. At 100% zoom, your eye is tricked into thinking you've created a nice smooth curve or diagonal line. But when you zoom in, you see what really happened.

Howdy Crassinnola,
That was exactly it. I changed my anti-aliasing mode to Sharp and it looks exactly like I wanted it to.
Star to you.
Thanks again,
ksbigfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back