Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder views keep changing back 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stiaan

Programmer
Nov 5, 2001
AU
Although I set a folder view to, say, ICONS (and hit APPLY), it will stay this way for a short time only. Inevitably i return to find that folder's view has changed - usually to DETAILS.

After a re-install it works fine for a week or two but then, always, I seem to lose the ability to chose how I'd like a folder to stay.

Does anybody know why? I'm running Win XP Professional.

Thanx for your time

Stiaan

I have experienced this problem in both WIndows XP versions. The only thing I noticed is that if I used the Media Library Management Wizard that comes with the Windows Media Bonus pack for Windows Xp it seems to reset all the settings on all of the folders regardless of whether they contain music or not. You'll probably find that most of your folders have become music folders. Apart from this I don't know why the settings are changing but then there's a lot of things that change for no reason on Windows XP!

Supplied this possible fix.

"Sometimes windows XP forgets it's folder view settings.

Here is the solution.

Backup these RegKeys.

1:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]

2:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

After that you must delete them.

Restart windows to take effect.

Now you can change each folder and the setting will stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back