Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder view makes Windows Explorer very slow in deep directories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zytrex

Technical User
Apr 25, 2003
When I have the folder view visible in Windows Explorer, as I navigate deeper and deeper into directories and subdirectories, it takes longer and longer for the contents of the deeper directories to appear. If I get deep enough it can take several seconds each. I can then hit the backspace key many times very quickly and it will slowly go backwards out of each subdirectory, getting faster as it gets closer to the root. This happens in Safe Mode as well and on all four of my drives.

If I turn off the folder view, getting deeper into the directory structure makes absolutely no difference in speed. I have tried every combination of settings for Windows Explorer (including default settings of course) and nothing I do makes any difference. It's so bad that I've developed the habit of hitting the folder button to disable folder view immediately after using Windows+E to open Windows Explorer.

I've checked on many other computers and I cannot seem to duplicate this behavior. This happened with my previous 350 Watt PSU and my previous ATI Radeon 9600 XT. This did not happen before getting my new mobo and proc, at which time I did a format and reinstall of Windows. Any ideas?

Asus A8V Deluxe
Athlon 64 3500+ 90nm
1536 GB Generic RAM DDR333
GeForce 6800 GT
WD 120GB, WD 200GB, Maxtor 120GB, Maxtor 80GB (all DMA5)
Allied 500 Watt PSU
XP Pro SP2

This sounds a little bit like what you are talking about, whether it is on not may require you talking to Microsoft.

A delay may occur before the contents of a folder are displayed in the Windows Explorer Folders pane in Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP

Did you try playing with this setting in Folder Options/ View/ "Launch folder window in separate process"?

Specifies that each folder is opened in a separate part of memory. When you open each folder in a separate part of memory, the stability of Windows can be increased. However, your computer's performance might decrease slightly.

These are more general and you have probably "been there, done that".

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

That first website describes my situation exactly. It mentions a hotfix, but does not list it for download. It says to contact support to get it, which I have done. Now I just have to wait it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back