Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Restrictions/Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocode99

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
Ok, so I'm an idiot for doing this in the first place, but I wanted to set folder restrictions on the Guest account in Windows XP Pro SP2, but I accidentally set it on the Administrative account also. I have 2 harddrives: the C drive which holds Windows XP and programs and my D drive which holds my music, media, work files, etc. I set the restriction on my entire D drive. I wanted to do this for the guest account, but I did it for the Administrative account as well. When I went to change it back the entire D drive viewable by the Administrative account, I have to do it for every single file and folder. I have about 160 gigs worth of files and you can imagine how long it would take to put everything back to normal. I tried reformatting the C drive thinking it would take care of it, but that didn't help.

My question is how can I take care of this without having to go through each individual file? I've been searching google with no luck (most just tell how to use the security feature). I also thought about the registry, but that wouldn't make sense if the restriction is still there after reformatting the C Drive. Any ideas? Thanks

when you go to the security tab on the drive you want to change permissions, click the advanced button. From there you will see a check box on the bottom half that says replace permission entries on all child objects......that will fix your problem.

FROGGYJ
A+,N+,CST,CNCT,MCP

Read about Inheriting Permissions from the Parent folder and applying them to the Child folders. Then you can apply your permissions to D: drive and let them flow through to all the subfolders and files.

How Inheritance Affects File and Folder Permissions

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP

You may have to wait up to an hour while the permissions are changed on such a large drive

thanks guys. I will have to double check that when I get home from work. I'll let you know if this solves the problem. You guys always save my butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back