Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

folder redirection - outlook pst - offline not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchaplin

Programmer
Jul 18, 2003
NZ
I have set up folder redirection, which includes outlook 2010 pst files roughly in the path of..
C:\Documents and settings\Username\My Documents\outlook files\

It is also setup to allow files offline.

When the notebook is offline I can see the files available off line, however the pst file has an x over it. When outlook is opened offline it cannot find the pst because it is not available.

This is intermittent and sometimes it does work. When it fails to open there is a conflict outlined in the sync centre relating to a tmp pst.

When the notebook is taken offline it is closed down properly and removed from the network.

Using a notebook offline has to be a robust process. There must be a setting or something to check.

Any ideas or leads are appreciated.

Thanks

I would not recommend using folder redirection for a notebook (portable) at all. Only use offline files. Folder redirection is designed for continuous network access so that all of a user's data is stored on the server for security, etc.

I made the mistake of setting up users this way, too. After wrestling with it, I turned off folder redirection on the server and found that I had to create a new profile on the notebook for it to take effect.

Pretty sure you don't use pst files, either. How does the user connect to the exchange server when away? You should probably be using Cached Exchange Mode...

if its cached exchange the mail will be in an .ost file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back