Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Redirection doesn't work if users don't logon locally! why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexandrosG

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2007
GR
Hi! I would appreciate some help on this!

A set up a domain which (for the time) includes on D.C (Win2003) and two Workstations for members. (WinXPPro). I also setup a Group Policy with folder redirection and applied it to a user group. The problem is that folder redirection is not working (both for users with roaming and local profile). There is not any error message, or relevant event logged. After three days searching books and internet about redirections i couldn't find any mistake in my setup/configuration. Then i figured out that with this trick the folder redirection works:

1) I add a user to domain admins (or backup operators, it works either) group, which gives the user the right to logon to the D.C locally.
2) I logon to D.C as this user.
3) I logoff.
The redirected folders are created (are transfered to the new location i mean)!!!
4) I remove the user from the domain admins group (or backup operators, respectively).
Folder redirection works fine from now on! (for this user)

* This trick works no matter if user's profile is a roaming one or not.

Why? Does the right to log on locally has anything to do with the creation of user's redirected folders? Shouldn't work without this trick? (all tutorials that i have found for folder redirection describe the typical procedure which doesn't work for me!

Thanks in advance for any help!

On the DC, add domain users to the "Allow logon locally" option to remove 2 steps from that list.

This sounds like a permissions issue for creation of the redirected folders.

I had the same thought but i cannot find any difference from the steps that everybody is describing on the web. The strange is that i don't get any error message!

*All other settings included in the Group Policy are the defaults of the Domain Group Policy and the Local Group Policy of the D.C.

The Folder that hosts the profile's redirected folders have the following permissions:

Sharing Permissions:
Full Control for Administrators, System and Everyone.

NTFS Permissions:
CREATOR OWNER - Full Control (Subfolders and Files Only)
System - Full Control (This Folder, Subfolders and Files)
Domain Admins - Full Control (This Folder, Subfolders and Files)
Everyone - Read Attributes (This Folder Only), List Folder/Read Data (This Folder Only), Traverse Folder/Execute File (This Folder Only), Create Folder/Append Data (This Folder Only)

* I have tried also to give "Full Control" to "Everyone", but nothin changed!

* Redirection disabling (and move the redirected folders back to their original location (i had configured it like that)) also works for a user only if i logon locally to the D.C as this user!

I am really annoyed with this strange behaviour of redirection!! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back