Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrider

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2003
US
Hello everyone!

I'm running a W2K Server with Active Directory.

I have a particular folder which contains custom company templates such as fax and memo templates. The documents are built with macros and meant to be used once and saved in another location if desired by the user.

What i would like to do is give the user's access to enter data onto the document, and be able to print it. How do i set access rights to this folder so I can give them these rights and deny them the ability to save to this folder?

Thank you in advance [noevil]

-right click the folder -> click properties -> there should be a security tab and then click ->add and do whatever edits you need

Yes, but is there a specific way it should be done. The problem with just going at it is that i only want the mentioned critieria to apply. The attempts i've made before have created unwanted restrictions

I'm not very good with the group policy editor. Is there somewhere you know of that i can get a general tutorial on it?

If you intend on getting very specific about the user's permissions in a particular folder, more so than the standard NTFS permissions you are typically presented with in the security tab, then click the advanced button on the security tab. You can adjust permissions to a fine detail. If the files in this folder tend to remain static (files not added on a regular basis), I would consider applying permissions directly to the files in the folder that are different than the folder itself. You could be more restrictive on the folder level to prevent adding and deleting files, and give greater access at the file level to allow altering the data.

Thank you all for your help. I think i'm getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back