Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutrino

Technical User
Feb 6, 2002
GR
Hi all,
I have XP Pro on all my machines including my server. I have all my shared folders on the server but I want each computer to be able to access only specific folders on the server.

I figured out that I have to adjust the permissions within the server in order to do this but I ran into one problem.

This is what I do (from the server):

Right Click on Folder > Properties > Security Tab > Add

When the "Select Users or Groups" window pops up prompting me to add new users, it only gives me the users from that computer! It will not see the other computers on the network. Why is this?

Also, when I look at the network through another computer I can see that shared folder but obviously I can't access it because it has not been set in the permissions. All the public folders are viewed and shared without any problems.

Can anyone help me on this?

NOTE: I have disabled the built in firewall.

Since you don't have a domain controller (or AD, but for now let's treat those equal), you need to create local accounts for your other users; after that, (if you enabled decent file sharing (ie. turn of the simplified sharing)), other users can logon onto your machine; they authenticate themselves as MACHINENAME\USERNAME, but since you don't have a domain (MACHINENAME is treated as a domain name) (well, somewhat, but for now this will suffice); only the username (and the password, ofcourse) will get verified.

So, in order to have full cross-sharing, on - say 3 - machines, with 3 users:

On every machine create a user account for every user (keeping the passwords per user equal, for the sake of simpllicity; not really needed, but you'll sace yourself some aspirin in the long run);

Iff you put all machines in the same workgroup (otherwise they won't see each other), you can connect to every machine, en on every "server machine" you get the permissions of the local user account w/ the corresponding name of the active user on the "workstaion machine" ...

This is basically the same as sharing an XP (or any NT machine) to win 3.x/9x clients..

It even does work, _as a workstation_, with XPHome clients; running as a server will be somewhat more difficult, given the interesting implementation of sharing / permissions in XPHome.

[Note: in this message I designate as a workstation something that accesses shares, and a server as something that provides access to shared items]

* Good luck,

* john ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

I tried this but it didn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??? :-(

Let's say I have 3 computers: 1 Server and two workstations A and B. Do I have to set 3 users per computer named Server, A and B, each with their own password?

Isn't there any way around this? Each computer already has its own name but when I try to find it using the ADD feature I only see the local computer. I'm not looking for any high security at the moment. I just want to keep the accounting files in one directory, technical stuff in another and marketing stuff in another. That way (for example) computer A can see/access only the engineering folder and computer B can see/access only the accounting and marketing folders.

Thanks for your help! :)

Almost:

You have 3 computers, Server, WSA and WSB; apparently you only want to be able to share things from the server to the WSses...

So you have at least to different user accounts (sharing is user based, not PC based), say USER1 and USER2; fot the sakf of argument USER1 logs on onto WSA and USER2 logs on onto WSB.

Situation:

WSA: that has an account USER1, passwd PASS1 (and ofcourse an administrator acct, and probably more; those don't matter right now).

WSB: account USER2, passwd PASS2 (and probable other accts as well)

SERVER: Create two additional accounts, USER1 (w/ PASS1) and USER2 w/ PASS2. Now you can share things, and set share permissions for USER1 and USER2 separately. (don't go setting NTFS permissions, just use share level permissions, that should suffice)...

so: on the server now just share a folder, and set the permissions to include your (local) USER1 or USER2 account... (or do a
Code:
NET SHARE Marktg=C:\Marketing
, followed by manual permission settings, but the GUI is more simpel in this case)..

In order for the PCs to see each other, they need to be in the same workgroup, and in the same TCP/IP subnet (to not have to add manual routes yourself)... just use for each PC something link 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.12 w/ a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (most common example).

You could speed things up a bit a/ a LMHOSTS file, but that't not really needed...

If you still can't get it to work, just report back, and we'll do a detailed analysis of your current situation, to see what's wrong with it...

(but we'll leave that for tomorrow, it's 2:04 AM local time right now...)

Good luck...

* john ---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back