Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

optimised

Technical User
Jun 21, 2001
US
Hello,
I'm new to linux. I am wondering what my system folder permissions should be. I do not want folks to be able to browse any of my sys folders such as etc-home-var etc.
For example when john let's say ftp's to his folder I do not want him to be able to browse folders like etc,home,var etc.
thanks

Hi Optimised,
If you are talking about only ftp then you have to set up home dir for all ftp users. so when john does ftp it sees his home dir as root and so he can't backstep.

Which linux flavor and version are you using.

Patel

Hi patel,

I've recently installed rh7.1
That is what I want to do. I want john when he ftp's his html files to the server he can not browse other folders.

I have a directory named> /home/john

So when john ftp's currently he can browse all the folders on my system and I don't want that for sure.
For example he can look in /home/david
He can look in /etc/httpd

I need to fix this.

I have set up a web server and don't want to lock out any folders that apache may need as 0755

I am fairly new to linux and thought I read somewhere that directories should be 755.

Thnks

Hi Optimised,
Here how it works in HP
bower:?????:5103:5051:Bowers,Exxon,:/home/ftp/exxon/./mcbower:/usr/local/etc/ftponly

Now when user bower ftp he sees /home/ftp/exxon/mcbower as root he can't run cd .. command.

I remember that you can do same thing in Linux 7.1
I will try to find out tomorrow.

Patel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back