Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben79

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2006
SE
How do i reset an folder to the default permissions?

I have copied a folder from an old server and all NTFS permissions have stuck with that folder to the new server.

Since the old server's users are long gone some folders can´t be viewed by the new users. :S

I seem to have solved the problem now. But are there any command in the dos prompt that you can use to automaticlly manage rights and security on files and folders?

There is a general rule about NTFS permissions:
Place the users in grous and give the group NTFS permissions. When old user is removed it gets removed from the group automaticaly and you do not have to look at all the folders NTFS permissions afterwards.

Just make a new folder and see what permissions it gets and place the folder you want to have that permissions in the new folder click security on the old folder en click advaced and uncheck the inherent from parent, chose copy and do oke and the folder will have the default permissions.

regards Lars

Network admin for worldwide freight forwarders company.
mcp mcsa\: Messaging mcse -2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back