Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder Permissions and MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

BikeToWork

Programmer
Jun 16, 2010
US
I have a networked Access database that someone (or some process) keeps deleting. Does a user require r/w + delete permissions to the folder where the database resides? Is delete permission required to delete the lock file? If possible, I would like to set it so that users can have r/w permissions without delete permissions. Would this be sufficient for Access?

No, Access needs the delete permission for the lock file...

You can explicitly set permissions on files as well... The caveat here is that everytime you do a compact/repair you are technically creating a new file with the same name in the folder so it will inherit the folder's permissions... or fail if you set the permission...

That being said, if you can manage the permissions yourself easily (or ask for them for the folder) you can twiddle it yourself.

Just do two things, discuss with an admin the possible fallout with compact/repair and why your want to remove ther permission... just in case you are not around.... and of course consider giving the delete permission back when you are not going to be around.

If you remove the delete permission, hopefully someone will ask why they can't delete the file... Which of course is another reason to tell the admin.

Thank you for the reply, LameID. Is there any way to prevent users from deleting an Access database? Since they require r/w and delete permissions on the folder where the database resides, there is nothing to stop them from deleting the database file. Is there any way (in the NTFS environment) to set deny delete special permissions for users on a folder and its contents so that users cannot delete the file? Does anyone know of a workaround?

As noted (in NTFS) you can set permissions on files and not folders... So you can get away with removing the delete permission from the file with the caveats noted.

Once a long time ago I heard Novell allowed setting permission on the filename and not the object... Whether this is true or not I don't know.... Where I am now has Novell but I've had other multi-user issues that seem to be NOS cache related vs. the expected read and write everything Access needs. Since it is a large organization with outsourced IT, I gave up on a solution a long time ago... My workaround is SQL Server here. You could do the same. Users don't even need permission to the database files :D

Keep in mind there is SQL Server Express which is free but it has a limit of 5 concurrent users.... I think that is per database but it may be the instance.... That is the one practical gotcha, not that moving to SQL Server is a trivial matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back