Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder permission changes without 'my' permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

saida

Technical User
Jan 11, 2005
AL
hi,
I'm using a Windos NT 4, SP 5. In one drive I have a shared folder and different users have diffrent level of access in the subfolders.
For some reason I don't know, the permissions of the subfolders change continuosly. I see nothing strange on the events. Users can not change the permissions, I do it all from the server. Please help

are the permissions on the subfolders set to inherit permissions from parent folders?

yes, the subfolders inherit permissions from parent folder. When the permissions change, they change in parent folders and subfolders.

Are your clients Windows2000 Professional or XP? If someone has access to this folder from the server level they can change the security permissions themselves.

most of the clients use XP, but there are also Win2000 Professional.
The changes on folder permission look random. Every client has a read permission for the parent folder, and different permissions for the subfolders, and they change all. I just don't understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back