Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder owner 'unknown', won't allow change to me or admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicM

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi,
I am the only user on this machine. It is my personal laptop running Win7 Pro, SP1.
I had a folder last year that I created on a virtual drive partition. I had set up Windows Backup to do weekly backups. Subsequently I no longer needed that folder and deleted it. Whenever I performed the backup I would get an error saying the system was unable to find the deleted folder.
When I tried telling backup to ignore the folder it, of course, was not listed in the virtual drive so I couldn't deselect it. I then recreated the folder, went into backup and deselected that folder from backup.
I ten tried to delete the folder, but the system will not allow me to do so. I tried taking ownership, but when I got to that screen the system said the owner was 'unknown' and would not allow any change to me (a member of Administrators) or the Administrator proper (Access Denied at every turn).
I tried doing the delete in the CMD window which I ran as Administrator. Access denied. I also tried taking ownership in the same CMD window with the same results.
I am at a loss as to how to get rid of the folder. It won't even allow me to display the contents window (it's currently empty). Again, Access denied.
Any other suggestions than the ones I've already read in this forum?
Thanks,
Vic

Well this was bizarre. I had shut down the laptop last nite. Today when I rebooted it, the system allowed me to delete the folder. Oh the mysteries of the cyber world. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back