Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder inheritance blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

robsls2

IS-IT--Management
Apr 21, 2008
US
Is their any way to turn off folder inheritace completly.

What I am getting is we have a cluster server which stores Users profile directories in one share and another share Resource data.

Now when we create a new user and put in a drive letter and path it creates a user folder in that user profile directory. Now the Root folder "users" has inheritace turned off, but when a new user folder gets created inheritace is turned on for that folder. The root still has it off but anything new get inheritance. Any way to have thus turned off or am I missing something to stop this. The CIO sees this as a security risk if any change is made to the root folder "users" that it will inherit down to all folders.

Any clue, help or do we just have to manually turn this off upon a new folder being created?

this is by design, and i dont believe it can be turned off..could be wrong though. it is meant to lessen the chance of permissions hijacking at lower levels essentially.

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE00/03, MCSA:Messaging00, MCSA03, A+
Manager - Global AD Operations
ACS, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back