Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder deletion problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kstargold

Programmer
Jun 7, 2004
US
Hi, I am part of a network at my work. A few offices have access to our shared drive (3gb data, about 40 users). We have been having problems with folders getting deleted. This is not a system error, it is user error. I was thinking that maybe if instead of deleting a file or folder, it could be moved to a directory (much like a recycle bin). I think this would help with our little problem.

I have no idea, at all how to do this, but in all honesty, I don't really need to, I just need to be able to tell the sys admin what we need done. Is this a common thing? Is there something special that I could tell the sys admin so they would know what we want? In this even possible?

Thanks,
Kstar

why not just change the file permission to read /write, or remove the delete permission from the folder. That would be alot easier to arrange.

How would I go about doing that? Is that a common setting?

Thanks,
Kstar

As prophetoffire says, just change the file permission to read /write, or remove the delete permission from the folder.

Just tell your sys admin to do it. He'll know how to do it, its basic stuff. If, for some reason, he doesn't know how to do it then going Start ->help will show him how. But really, if he's a sys admin he should know how.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back