Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nocode99

Technical User
Oct 6, 2006
US
Hey guys,

I have a folder that's freezing on me after about 3-5 seconds opening it. I have two harddrives, one 80 gig (C drive)and one 250 gig (d drive). The C drive has the OS on it and I recently reformatted it. I have the D drive set to slave. The thing is, it's only doing this in one folder (and the subfolders within this folder). It's where I keep all my torrent downloads (for uh... educational purposes). I've done a virus scan (avast), scandisk to check for errors, and even defragged it. I'm at loss as to what I might have to do as I have probably 100 gigs worth of music, mp3s, etc. The error I get is something like drwatson32.exe or something. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Its probably just the amount thats in there. As an experminet, create a new folder, and copy half or so of the files out of it, and then see if you get the same issue. I had the same issue with a folder with around 80Gb in it (music, various dowbnloads and my PSP movie collection). I shifted some files out, and it went back to normal.

Scotsdude[bravo]

Thanks Scotsdude, I'll try it out when I get home from work.

Do you get the same problem from Safe Mode, or in Normal Mode as a different user?

Have you tried System Restore to a point before the problem?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

@linney, I don't think the System Restore would work as I reformatted the computer and that's when the problem arised. I haven't tried booting in safe mode. I don't have any different users other than my own.

@bcastner, this problem happens when I open the folder, but I won't even click on anything. I can just open, wait for a couple seconds, and it will crash. This patch seems to be associated with clicking on the file before opening. Will this still help?

Create a System Restore point. Then you can try Bcastner's fix. If no luck you can revert via System Restore, or the actual fix may have a "Restore to prior setting option", if you read the page of the link.

You can either create a new user or login to the built-in Administrator by typing Ctrl+Alt+Del (twice) at the Welcome Screen and using the Classic login box to type Administrator in the username and any password in the password box.

@bcastner, the patch worked. Thanks a lot guys. I thought I would have to backup my data and then reformat and that would've took a long time.

For the curious, the patch does this:

Deletes the following registry key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler\Default

This prevents Explorer from scanning the complete contents of AVI files to try an determine the date, time, and other explorer metadata of the files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back