Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folder cannot be deleted 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thokern

Technical User
Mar 19, 2003
DE
I´m running WinXPpro SP2. Unfortunately there is one Folder in the filesysten which cannot be deleted. The propertys menu of that folder doesn´t allow changes to any attribute.

Any idea to delete that corrupted folder?????

Any help welcome...................

Can you delete the folder in Safe Mode? Have you tried using the del or the rmdir from the command prompt? Check out these links for several solutions to try for this problem.

- You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

- Cannot delete file or folder (scroll down towards the bottom of the page for several methods to approach this)

Joey
A+, Network+, MCP, Wireless#

Not sure this will help, but here's a site to check out:

Also, are you running any updated AV/AS apps, Spybot S & D, Ad-Aware SE offer free AS apps. Windows Defender (an excellent free Antimalware download at:

Grisoft offers AV, AS & an AntiRootkit free apps at:

Be sure to check for up updates for all these apps before runnig.

Bob

Thanks to all. I will follow the downloaded instructions. So far I testet commandline prompts and the recovery console to delete the folder. --> no success.

If I put a file into that directory and run a simple dir command the file will not be displayed. It seems to be a problem with the filesystem.

I will go on................

First, I would run CHKDSK /f (or was it r)... just to be safe on the filesystem side...

second, take over OWNERSHIP of the FOLDER...

How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP

PS: if it still does not delete, then set the SYSTEM PERMISSIONS to full access...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Problem solved! Folder did contain unwanted non visible characters. I deleted the folder usig in Command Line:

cd c:\
rd "\\?\c:\<Path to directory containing corrupted folder" /S

Thanks to all of you!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back